Dear BHBC MDO Parents and Guardians,
After serious consideration from the Bartlett Hills Baptist Church and MDO staff, we have come to the difficult decision to NOT re-open for the 2020 - 2021 school year. This decision was made with careful consideration from weeks of discussions and meetings. We have sought the advice of medical doctors and healthcare workers and have received varied opinions and suggestions on how to move forward. Although, there are pros and cons to both options, our decision to not re-open is based on these facts:
• Preschool and elementary-aged children, though very unlikely to suffer symptoms of COVID-19, can be “asymptomatic” carriers of the disease—putting anyone in contact with them at risk of infection.
• Any enrolled child who has tested positive for the virus or has a family member who has tested positive for the virus, must be quarantined from our program for two weeks. If that child has been to school before the exposure to the virus was discovered, the entire class and age group, as well as siblings, would also have to quarantine at home for two weeks.
• The infection numbers have not decreased, as we were hoping, before our prospective reopening date. Concern increases as we approach the cold and flu season, and experts anticipate the COVID-19 numbers to continually rise during the next few months.
• We have also considered the holidays approaching and the many gatherings that will happen amongst family members from our hallway—increased possible exposure and spread of the virus in this particular time should not be ignored.
• Lastly, a vaccine has still not come available to those who would choose to vaccinate themselves and their families against COVID-19.
We plan to come back stronger than ever with BHBC MDO in the 2021 – 2022 school year. This program is a precious ministry that we at BHBC are so very grateful for, and we hope to see it continue and thrive. Although registration deposits are nonrefundable, we have decided to credit that payment to next school year’s registration fee and/or tuition. This credit can be applied to any child within your family. If your child falls under the specific category of entering Kindergarten in the next school year with no younger siblings, we will be able to refund this particular deposit. You must email the director to initiate this process.
We understand that many of you are disappointed. But we feel that it would be irresponsible to open if it were to put any single life in jeopardy, and we hope that you will understand how hard it has been to come to this very difficult decision! We greatly desire to see you and your precious ones next August.